``The Region is home to over 300 life sciences & health technology firms!``
York Region is strategically located North America’s third largest life sciences cluster by sector employment (40,000 employees : 1,300 companies), known as the Greater Toronto Area. The Region is home to global industry leaders such as Teva, Johnson & Johnson, Apotex, Smiths, Drager, PerkinElmer, Alexion, Abbott, Olympus Medical, Nightingale Informatix, and Cerner Canada.
With construction expected to begin on a fourth hospital in late 2016 or early 2017.
MEDICAL HEALTH LABS
in York Region providing essential support and research to medical initiatives.
220 pharmacies, 30 long-term care facilities, and 400+ other specialist and paramedical practitioners.
HealthTech Commercialization in York Region is Extensive and Growing Fast
- A new health tech incubator, CreateIT Now, established in Newmarket, York Region at Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Ideal startup location for life science and healthcare technology SME’s
- Specific opportunities exist in chronic disease management, health informatics & analytics, health systems and process re-engineering, imaging, mobile applications, remote monitoring, non-invasive medical devices
- Hospitals-industry collaboration framework focused on community care
Major Life Sciences & Healthcare Technology Companies with Operations in York Region
Life Sciences & Healthcare Technology in the Greater Toronto Area
- York Region is home to Ontario’s largest Local Health Network (LHIN) serving 1.8 million residents
- Healthcare-IT convergence: York Region is home to Canada’s second largest Information & Communications Technology (ICT) cluster including leading Healthcare IT firms such as IBM, Nightingale Informatix, and Cerner Canada
- 25 of top 50 global pharma firms and 16 of top 25 global medical device firms have Canadian Headquarters in the Toronto area
- Concentrated and diverse patient base; area population 6.1M (45% foreign-born), fifth largest metro area in USA/Canada
- 60 vicinity hospitals including 12 research and 9 teaching hospitals
- 6 area medical schools and over 50 academic programs related to medical devices and biomedical engineering
VentureLAB Regional Innovation Centre in York Region
- Home to ventureLAB Innovation Centre: One-stop-shop start-up/commercialization support for entrepreneurs
- Part of Province of Ontario’s Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE), designed to help commercialize ideas
- Healthcare-ICT technology convergence centre
Academic Research & Innovation
- York University: Canada’s third largest university; leading interdisciplinary research and teaching institution with new campus opening in Markham, York Region
- Seneca College: Canada’s largest college; leader in applied research and education
York Region Life Sciences & Healthcare Technology News