``The Region is home to over 300 life sciences & health technology firms!``
York Region is strategically located North America’s third largest life sciences cluster by sector employment (40,000 employees : 1,300 companies), known as the Greater Toronto Area. The Region is home to global industry leaders such as Teva, Johnson & Johnson, Apotex, Smiths, Drager, PerkinElmer, Alexion, Abbott, Olympus Medical, Nightingale Informatix, and Cerner Canada.
With construction expected to begin on a fourth hospital in late 2016 or early 2017.
MEDICAL HEALTH LABS
in York Region providing essential support and research to medical initiatives.
220 pharmacies, 30 long-term care facilities, and 400+ other specialist and paramedical practitioners.
HealthTech Commercialization in York Region is Extensive and Growing Fast
- A new health tech incubator, CreateIT Now, established in Newmarket, York Region at Southlake Regional Health Centre
- Ideal startup location for life science and healthcare technology SME’s
- Specific opportunities exist in chronic disease management, health informatics & analytics, health systems and process re-engineering, imaging, mobile applications, remote monitoring, non-invasive medical devices
- Hospitals-industry collaboration framework focused on community care
Major Life Sciences & Healthcare Technology Companies with Operations in York Region
Life Sciences & Healthcare Technology in the Greater Toronto Area
- York Region is home to Ontario’s largest Local Health Network (LHIN) serving 1.8 million residents
- Healthcare-IT convergence: York Region is home to Canada’s second largest Information & Communications Technology (ICT) cluster including leading Healthcare IT firms such as IBM, Nightingale Informatix, and Cerner Canada
- 25 of top 50 global pharma firms and 16 of top 25 global medical device firms have Canadian Headquarters in the Toronto area
- Concentrated and diverse patient base; area population 6.1M (45% foreign-born), fifth largest metro area in USA/Canada
- 60 vicinity hospitals including 12 research and 9 teaching hospitals
- 6 area medical schools and over 50 academic programs related to medical devices and biomedical engineering
VentureLAB Regional Innovation Centre in York Region
- Home to ventureLAB Innovation Centre: One-stop-shop start-up/commercialization support for entrepreneurs
- Part of Province of Ontario’s Network of Entrepreneurs (ONE), designed to help commercialize ideas
- Healthcare-ICT technology convergence centre
Academic Research & Innovation
- York University: Canada’s third largest university; leading interdisciplinary research and teaching institution with new campus opening in Markham, York Region
- Seneca College: Canada’s largest college; leader in applied research and education
York Region Life Sciences & Healthcare Technology News
Vaughan-Based Revive Therapeutics Announces Issuance of U.S. Patent Related to Bucillamine in the Treatment of Gout
Denmark Headquartered LEO Pharma Launches First North American Innovation Lab in Toronto Area’s Markham, York Region