Major Business Centre
York Region: Canada’s Fastest Growing Large Municipality
- York Region is located in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), Ontario, Canada, and is home to 1.1 million residents - one of Canada’s largest municipalities. The region’s population is projected to grow to 1.5 million by 2031.
- The fastest growing large municipal jurisdiction in Canada, York Region represented over 20% of Ontario’s total population growth between 2006-2011 (Statistics Canada).
- As of mid 2012 York Region ranked 3rd across Canada by residential construction volume after only Vancouver and Toronto (Statistics Canada, building permits).
- York Region is comprised of nine area municipalities: Markham, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Newmarket, Aurora, Whitchurch-Stouffville, East Gwillimbury, Georgina and King.
York Region: Ontario’s 2nd Largest Business Centre
- Strategically located in Canada’s commercial capital, the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)
York Region is home to 42,000 businesses (employers) - Ontario’s 2nd largest business centre after the City of Toronto census division (source: Statistics Canada CBP)
- 530,000 local jobs with projected employment of 780,000 by 2031
Home to Canadian headquarters or divisional operations of 14 Fortune 100 corporations
While most companies in York Region are SMEs, York Region is home to 70 local employers with over 500 employees, each (Statistics Canada CBP)
Canadian or global headquarters of 20 companies with revenues of over $0.5 billion, each
Leading destination in Canada for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI). Recent investments locally include among others IBM, Honda, Huawei Technologies, GE, Siemens, China Telecom, FedEx, Teva Pharmaceuticals, Bank of China, Flextronics, and Primus Telecom
- Hundreds of foreign and multinational companies located their Toronto area operations in York Region. Estimated 55% originate from the U.S., 27% from Europe and 15% from Asia
Population growth (%) 2006-2011: Canada’s largest Census Divisions
Source: Statistics Canada, 2011 Census
York Region’s Top 100 Private Sector Employers
Foreign-owned Companies in York Region – Snapshot